Day 111: A Recipe
Cooking is not my favorite pastime (I get really hung up on the instructions and spend more time reading them over and over than actually preparing the food), but I love this recipe. It’s extremely fast and extremely delicious. And as I try to convince myself that one day spring will indeed arrive (it’s snowing outside as I write this), the thought of fresh basil and avocado makes me oh-so-happy.
Try it and enjoy!
It’s creamy, fresh and flavorful. My advice is to go a little easy on the garlic the first time around. I dove right in with three cloves and it was pretty potent.
- 1 medium sized ripe avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 1-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste (I use sea salt)
- ~1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings/6 ounces of your choice of pasta
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add pasta, reduce heat to medium and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Then add the pitted avocado, basil and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes two servings.