Day 403: Keeping Going
This is technically the 403rd day of this blog, which – according to my mindset when I started blogging 403 days ago – means that yesterday should have been the last day.
But, like David Bowie once said, time may change me, but I can’t trace time (that’s not exactly the point I’m trying to make here, but… you get it). I started this with the intention of blogging every day until December 31, 2013. I made it until March 29, 2013. Then I slowed down and it was a good choice.
Things ch-ch-change. Instead of closing up shop, I’ve decided that 402 will persevere until the end of time (or until I no longer have an internet connection or a computer or any lists to write or interesting people to learn about).
So in honor of keeping going, I made a list. It’s not a list of 2014 resolutions or pledges. It’s not lofty or necessarily aspirational—it’s just a checklist. Of small things that are do-able every day, like “brush your teeth” or “put on pants.” These are easy.
To Do (Each Day)
- Smile when you wake up (even if it doesn’t come naturally and you’re just moving your face around).
- Be kind.
- Breathe first. Then react.
- Walk around with bare feet.
- Take a breath of outside air halfway through the day (no matter how cold, rainy, hot or dry it is out there).
- Admit that you don’t know something.
- Make an effort.
- Slow down.
- Put your phone away at night.
- If you didn’t get to it today, let it go. Then do it tomorrow.